FanTATstic

A novice's journey into the fascinating world of tatting and tatted lace.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Snowflake Redux & I Think I'm in Love


I think I'm in love - with the Aero shuttle that is. I'd never used one before but decided to try as several tatters in the online groups have praised it. I used it for this second version of the snowflake pattern from Lindsay Rogers' Tatting Collage and really like the light weight, non-slippery surface that is easy to grip, the bobbin which can be rewound quickly and (oddly enough) the dull grey color. It's probably silly but I never have liked spending time working on say a pink motif using a bright red shuttle. Grey goes with almost everything! Do any Aero users reading this know what you do with the hole in the bobbin? Does the thread go through it when you wind on? Oh, I also like the fact that you can wind the bobbin on the back end of this shuttle. At first the length and the pick on the end made the shuttle clumsy to use, but I quickly adapted to the extra length after completing a few rings.

This is my third or fourth (who's counting when you're having fun) attempt at the snowflake and I'm putting it in my 25 Motif Challenge notebook as Motif #6.

1 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

I love Aero shuttles. They're the only shuttle I use. I have others, but they drive me nuts. Aero's are perfect for me. I like the length, the attached hook, the bump for winding on the back of them, the light weight and everything else about them. I tat fast, and any other kind of shuttle slows me down. Some people use the little hole in the bobbin to put the thread through. Then they can hold onto the thread when winding the bobbin. Personally, I use a slip knot to attach my thread to the bobbin. Make the slip knot, put the loop around the bobbin and pull tight. The thread is secured on the bobbin, so that I can wind away and not worry about it coming loose. When the bobbin is empty, I just pull on the opposite end of thread and the loop slides open so that it comes right off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home