FanTATstic

A novice's journey into the fascinating world of tatting and tatted lace.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

3rd Motif


I started this challenge as a learning exercise fully determined to work motifs designed by others, but last evening, after finishing motif 2, I started fooling around with left-over thread on my shuttle and actually designed a simple motif for myself. I have no illusions about it being an original design, but it is a product of my shuttle with no other human intervention. I decided to write out instructions for it in case some beginning tatter would like to try it. If you find any errors in the pattern - remember this is my first attempt at pattern writing - please let me know.

MOTIF THREE

Shuttle only. Short picots: 3/16". Long picots: 1/2"

Work ring of 5 DS - short picot - 1 DS - long picot - 1 DS - short picot - 5 DS
Close Ring

Start next ring and all subsequent rings without leaving space between rings

Work 7 rings of 5 DS - Join to last picot of previous ring - 1 DS - long picot - 1 DS - short picot - 5 DS

Work ring of 5 DS - Join to last picot of previous ring - 1 DS - long picot - 1 DS - join to first picot of 1st ring.

9 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Gail said...

Nice design! It lays nice, has a great look, and very pretty varigated thread.
Gail

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Gail said...

Nice design! It lays nice, has a great look, and very pretty varigated thread.
Gail

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Thanks do much, Gail. Hmm, I'm thinking that with beads it could be made into earrings.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

See, you ARE a designer and didn't even know it.
Sharon

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Eva S said...

I love this pattern. Will try it sooon. Greetings from the very south of Sweden and Eva

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Needledreams said...

This is so nice! I like the look of the long picots.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Barbara J said...

That's a nice pattern, simple but effective. I'd want to try it too and the variegated thread...lovely.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Janet Perkins said...

Love it all!

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Tattycat said...

Jan, I'm going to try this one as you were so kind to publish the pattern. I hope it works up as pretty as yours!

Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home