FanTATstic

A novice's journey into the fascinating world of tatting and tatted lace.

Friday, September 01, 2006

4th Motif


I decided to attempt a slightly more difficult (for me) motif for #4 and skipped to motif nineteen in MiniTats by Patti Duff. I was intrigued by the shape and it provides a lot of practice in making uniform picots. I'm still having trouble with the last join so the finished motif pictured here is actually the fourth I did until this "keeper" came off the shuttle. I used Opera thread in size 20 and really like the crisp results.

I was working on this motif during one of the weekly get-togethers of a crocheting group and someone asked me what I was working on. I explained that it was a motif for the 25 Motif Challenge. "But what is it FOR?", she asked. As a crocheter and knitter I'm used to making purposeful items: knitted socks or crocheted water-bottle totes, etc. Tatting, methinks, exists to decorate and to enjoy for itself, but I immediately began thinking would this motif look good as a brooch? As though I need a practical reason to spend time working on it.

1 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Motives don't need a reason :-) But if you want a reason, you can add a pin to the back and wear it, join several together for a hat band, add a long crocheted of tatted chain and tassel and use it as a bookmark. Join a bunch of them together and make a small doily, applique it to a pocket or shirt to dress it up, or make a second one and add fishhook earrings.
Sharon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home