FanTATstic

A novice's journey into the fascinating world of tatting and tatted lace.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Let It Snow! The 6th Motif


I've never made a snowflake design before and wanted to try a more difficult motif and finer thread. For motif 6 I chose a snowflake from Lindsay Rogers' book Tatting Collage (Guild of Master Craftsman Publications, 1996). I used Omega #30 thread in white and it seemed somewhat fuzzy compared to the Manuela and Opera used for the other pieces.

This is attempt #2 at the snowflake. I'm used to doing handwork in front of the television or listening to audio books and can do even quite intricate crochet without being distracted. At this stage of my tatting development, however, I admit that watching TV - especially an exciting baseball game - can result in unpleasant surprises. Attempt #1 was a misshapen discard.

This attempt is better but I'm not at all happy with the overlapping picots. Maybe I should have made them smaller? Maybe blocking would help? Am working on version #3 right now, but here's what I have so far.

1 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Tattycat said...

I agree that tv is best left to crochet. I have always been able to do most handwork with distractions, but not tatting! What a mess I make! I am a perfectionist, as I'm sure you are, and it just won't work. I don't like pulling it out and can't leave it wrong. I like the little snowflake.

Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home